Sunday, June 19, 2011

Its raining dogs....

As some of you know already, its been raining on and off for days now and is meant to continue on for another day or two. Yesterday was our longest day yet, we hit 88 miles and started our day nice and early at 7am. Before I continue on about yesterday, let me tell you about another fellow rider we met on Friday. His name is Max and he's from Utah. Lil foot and I thought we had tough days here and there but clearly Max had us beat. He's riding a recumbent from Manchester, NH to St. Louis, MI. For those of you who need a visual it looks like a low to the ground wheelchair/tricycle. Max ended up camping with us for the night and then tried to meet us in Mineral, Va but being so low to the ground, the hills tend to not be your friend. He didn't make it last night but it was still interesting to have him around for one night! Back to the riding of yesterday... We had a great start and made it about 55 miles before lunch where we ate at Patrick Henry's Home (he was Virginia's first senator or congressman or something, history is not my thing so to me it was just a place to get out of the sun and eat!). Luckily we didn't hit any rain all day, but the night wasn't't looking too good. We arranged to camp out on the backyard of a volunteer firehouse, but with storms coming we were able to sleep inside instead! Due to being indoors we weren't able to make our yummy pasta so we went across the street and had some delicious BBQ! Then it was time for bed so we would be able to get another early start.

Today seemed like it was going to be a bit rough, but now looking back it wasn't nearly.as bad as we expected We wanted to start riding at 7 but our bodies said NO... So we didn't end up leaving the fire house until 9:30. At this point it had already down poured and was still drizzling, but we couldn't wait any longer. For a good hour to two hours we pushed ourselves through all sorts of level of rain. It actually felt pretty good to be soaking wet and it not be from sweat! Also with the rain came lower temperatures which was absolutely a great feeling. Overall today was a good day and now we need as much rest as possible because tomorrow we conquer our first mountain range and we're looking forward to it for sure. We've set up camp at Misty Mountain Camp Resort and our neighbor is a Bub Light truck, so I'll be having great dreams tonight! (Don't worry mom we aren't actually drinking, cause I wasn't able to brake into the truck.).
Well I guess that is all for now. Good night and Happy Father's Day to my dad and lil foots dad... Also first father's day to Jerry! (Miss my lil nugget.)

Oh and one last thing... You may be wondering about the post name so I'll explain. Here's a note to all dog owners in Virginia, either get a fence that keeps your dog off the road or chain your dog to a tree. I'm sick of having to possibly kick your dog to keep him from chasing me and trying to attack me. Trust me, if it comes down to me getting bit by a dog in the leg or me having to kick it, just guess which one will happen. Today alone lil foot and I had to out ride five different dogs for about half a mile each time... It's not fun, but it is a little funny after we've officially escaped.

Now that is all!

Sasq

PS. Lil Foot busted her ass at the end of the day after we entered the campsite... shoot her some texts to ask her what happened. hahahaha

No comments:

Post a Comment