Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Toasty Tuesday

Picking up where I left off... We hauled ass as fast as possible away from Dennis' house and made it to Ness City, 20 miles away, where we stopped to eat some breakfast and fill up our water bottles with cold water. Plan for the day was to get.as far as possible depending on heat and wind. The morning ride was a bit tough, we had a cross wind which at one point the combo of the cross wind and an 18 wheeler coming by pushed lil foot off the side of the road. This was intense. In case you need a better idea of the winds we're facing the next time its windy out go for a run in it and then every block or two have some smack you in the face with a bat. This is how it feels to battle a head wind along with an on coming truck.
As for you truck drivers, sorry I'm not waving all too much, its just that I'm bracing myself for the hit coming my way from your truck.
Once we filled our bellies it was time to get back onto the iron horse. Another 32 miles to Dighton. The wind continued to make our ride miserable and one top of that my back tire looked low. Lil foot rode on as I stopped three times to put air in it, and on the third time the pin popped off the tube. GREAT. Just what I needed, another flat tire. I pushed my bike half a mile where I could sit on the side of the road to change the flat. The first tube I tried to replace it with was not working and finally the second one went one! As I was finishing up a guy pulled over and ask "Need air?" In which I replied "No, I'm ok." What I wanted to say was, Sir I believe the only air you can prove at this time is from your ass so I'm going to pass. But I held back and he went on his way. At this point I was pretty miserable, I have no cushion left in my shorts so my ass is sore, I keep getting flats, the head wind was killing me, I was on 3 hours of sleep and the heat was going up. Lil foot lucked out and made it most the of the way before the wind got really bad, but it took me about two hours to go 14 miles. Ridiculous.

I warned lil foot I was in a shit mood and she understood. When I finally made it to town I ate lunch and then we began to plan what we would do. We went to the library where I took a crappy nap and we got to do some internet surfing on a computer! Then it was time to go cause the library was closing. Off to get some ice cream. I was still in a crap mood and neither of us wanted to cycle on, we decided to check in a shay's inn which was a lovely HOLE. To start off when you walk on there's a fly swatter to kill the flies in the room. I'm talking old school style, like my grandma does in upstate ny. Haha.
I showered first and found a previously used towel still in the shower. Yum. While I showered little food found us a six pack of shock tops! She showered next then we had our beers and hit the hay early to get ready for a long day ahead.

This morning the alarm went off at 3:30 but we slept in as usual and got a 5:30 riding start which is still good.

To be continued... Bed time for me.

Sasq

No comments:

Post a Comment