Thursday, July 28, 2011

Telluride you are beautiful!

Where to begin.... The start of the day was about 30 miles of decent riding with wide shoulders! Lil foot and I are still riding with the guys, their new names are Sweet Cheeks and DC (double chin/daddy Chris). I think the names don't need any explaining so I'll continue on with the riding. From Montrose to Telluride it was supposed to be an easy 60 miles but instead it was about 70 miles of mostly uphill climbing. On the map elevation profile it didn't look so bad but man oh man what a climb. Being that I have a road bike and not a touring bike like I should, the mountains have been a bitch on my legs. With the combination of my lack of a lower gear and the altitude, I was struggling big time. Lil foot hauled ass and made it about 3 or 4 miles ahead of me into town. Just when I was considering hitching a ride the road turned and opened up to possibly the most amazing view ever. A 3mile downhill into Telluride creates a beautiful view of the mountains surrounding the town, and the river flowing through it. I decided to sit a while and catch my breath while taking in the view.
The guys were already at the bar and planning to hit the bottle hard, so lil foot and I of course joined in without any objections! The Sheridan was the first place in a while that didn't have a drink maximum and we enjoyed every minute of it! After a few rounds Sweet Cheeks went and had some family time while DC stayed back and continued on with us. I think meeting these guys has been the best part of the trip, they're down to earth, funny and looking to enjoy their cycling the same way we are. A couple weeks ago DC joked about hiring lil foot and I to work in France at his ski/boarding lodge. That joke is in the works of becoming a reality, and if all goes well the adventures of Sasq and Lil Foot will continue! Last night DC mentioned he and his wife are looking into work visas for us, so fingers crossed for Sasq & Lil Foot take on France!

Words can't describe how amazing this adventure has been so far and we still have about 2000 miles to go. With the grand canyon as our next big destination then the coast of California to finish, we can't be happier that we chose to go from east to west. Jocelyn, Chuba, Katie and Kevin are joining us at the grand canyon then Eric will be joining us along the coast! Tons to look forward to but for today we are going to enjoy Telluride and check out the mountains, off a bike thank god!

Tata for now.
Sasq

Couple side details I thought you all might enjoy... After 8 weeks of riding, my ass is hating me right now. No matter what people say about getting used to the seat, they're lying. I might have to get one of those inflated donut seats. Thanks to my mom for mailing me new shorts back in Pueblo, it takes a little of the pain away but my tushy is still soar.
Lil foots sun poisoning on her legs has cleared up pretty well, now she just has super dry flakey skin... Gross haha.
Feeling in my fingers comes and goes, the new gloves I have definitely help but these Rockies are super rough on my hands as well as legs.

Positive note... I probably lost about 15 and a ton of inches! Lil foot is toning up as well, but she doesn't think so, so we'll probably start adding some ab work outs here and there... I know we're out of our minds but we can't cycle across the country and finish looking like the same lazy asses we were.

Now that's all folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment