Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Oh Colorado the climbs, downhills, rain and beautiful scenery...

Just to start off, we are alive and kicking. The Rockies have been pretty crazy in so many ways but let's start where I left off.

7/22 Dinner and drinks with Chris...
Lil foot, Chris and I planned on having a fun night out in Pueblo, and what a night it was. First dinner at the Texas Ranch House close to the hotel. Amazing food, but I felt and looked like total shit. I was definitely getting sick, but with the next day being a rest day I pushed through to have a few drinks. We left the restaurant and 20 minutes later walked right back to their bar because nothing else was walking distance, but it would be an early night there. They close at 11 and there was a 4 drink maximum, LAME. the bartender informed us that Applebees is pretty popular on a Friday night and open til 2am but that was a lie. We took a cab over, $6, had maybe 2 or 3 pints each only to find ourselves needing another place to go because it was closing time and only 1am. That's when we went to the Quality Inn's bar/club. Clearly we wanted to keep drinking but once we arrived at our last location we had a fast beer and got the Hell out of there. What a group of weirdos in that place. You could tell we didn't belong at all. At that point it was time to call it a night and get some sleep. ThAnks again to Lindsay and hubby for the night in the hotel!

7/23 Rest Day
As I already mentioned, I hadn't been feeling too good, and it still showed the next day cause lil foot took one look at me and said "wow you look like shit." Thanks buddy! My plan was to stay in bed all day and thanks to my mommy, Eileen Tynion, we had another night at the hotel so we didn't have to pack up anything! I slept through the continental breakfast but food wasn't on my mind. Lil foot had a big day of errAnds, she's been looking to find a 26 inches touring tire but apparently its not a common size tire so she road about 15 around town to a couple shops only to find out that no one had the right tire. Then she ran a couple other errands before returning to the hotel. We wanted to see Harry Potter but lil foot's friend, Leah, drove over for the night to visit so we all went for some Mexican food. I was still feeling like death but needed something in my belly.
Cactus Flower was pretty good, but of course the waitress had a minor default that I couldn't get my attention off of. A little arm, haha. Not to be mean but its very distracting when you notice someone's default, it becomes the only thing I focus on. During dinner Leah mentioned she made us a present, I love presents and surprises! She made us energy cookies which didn't last long the next morning! YUM!
After dinner I went back to the room and slept a ton hoping to get my energy back, lil foot went to Leah's room and got to have a nice night of catching up. Lil foot returned at around midnight and said I still looked like crap, thanks again. The plan was to get breakfast and hit the road for our first day in the Rockies!

7/24 Happy Birthday Chris! (My brother)
We started our day a little later than planned but didn't mind because the weather was amazing and we didn't have to worry about hiding out during 100 degree weather for a few days. 87 miles from Pueblo to Cotopaxi and the halfway point would be roughly 9000 plus feet elevation. What a bitch of a climb. It wasn't too steep, just felt never ending. Along the way lil foot and I found Nina, Norwegian cyclist, in the side of the road and boy was she excited to see us. She hauled ass for two days doing twice as many miles just to catch up to us for some company. We road on and climbed little by little. I thought I was feeling better but the climb was getting to me, I was might headed and exhausted. This was going to be a long rough day.
We reached the top finally and found a place to eat, but the service was a bit crappy. Good thing my food was decent otherwise I would have been even more mad. An old woman, I'm guessing the owner, asked if we were having a bad day and I told her "No, your service is shitty." You would think that would get rid of her but no. What a head ache. We had enough of that place, so it was time to finish up our last 30 or so miles to Cotopaxi. After the rough climbing all day we finally caught a break and it was smooth sailing downhill for the remaining ride! Beautiful scenery the whole way and my energy was back up!
We spent the night at the KOA, the guys got a cabin (doesn't count as camping, haha) and the three of us camped out under the stars! Our first night of amazing camping in a long time!

Sasq

Part 2 to follow...

No comments:

Post a Comment